Monday, July 3, 2023

Is it Already July?



It seems like I have been trying to lose weight since January.  My efforts have been lack luster to say the least.  I'm not sure I've fully stuck with anything for more than a week.  Part of the problem is that I'm not so fat that it impacts my day-to-day life in a major way.  I'm able to do what I need to do.  Also, though I sit constantly at my job, I have developed the habit of a daily walk when I am at work.  I'm not entirely sedentary.  I have been doing this for over a year and it feels good.

So why do I bother to try losing weight if it's not really impacting me enough to cause me real trouble?  Well, it is impacting somewhat, and not in only subtle ways.  I bought a blood sugar meter and found my blood sugar is a little out of whack.  My morning fasting blood sugar is often just over 100, some days it's 103 or 106.  It is nothing crazy, but it isn't ideal.  I don't want to push it in the wrong direction.  Also, in the past, my cholesterol was not ideal, even a little high.  And since I had that test my diet has certainly not improved.  I enjoy a few too many sweets and I know that is a major contributor.

So, no, I'm not dying or immobile or any such thing.  I am able to do things that I enjoy and not get winded or be in vast amounts of pain.  But, I want to change the trajectory.  I don't want to be on cholesterol meds or develop type 2 diabetes.  I want to get to a good place now and continue living in that good place.

About a year ago I put on more than five pounds due in much part to my job.  I sit at a desk all day and at that desk I snack.  I think because I walk at lunch and care just enough, I've basically stabilized at that 5-7 pound gain.  But I don't like it.  It makes me unhappy because it's a step in the wrong direction.  And being a short person, that gain is visible to me both in my face and the rest of my body.

The diet plan?  Same old same old.  I plan to do a combination of Weight Watchers Simply Filling/Core and POINT counting.  Simple.  No big changes or weird food choices.  Yesterday was a Simply Filling/Core day. Today?  I haven't decided yet.  Probably the same but I may count POINTS.  

My goals?  I want to lose 15 pounds.  That would be great.  20?  Sure.  I'll take it.  That still leaves me in the high end of the overweight range for my height but I'm ok with that.   I also want to rid myself of this soft body!  I need my muscles back!  I want to feel good and I want my cholesterol and blood sugar to be in normal ranges.  My goals are modest but they are good goals.  Here's to another go at the same ride!  

No comments:

Post a Comment